Word of the Day

Drag the tiles to make one word. When they link together, they are correct. Word Of The Day Puzzle provided by Quote Puzzler.

To find the meaning of the obscure word you just created, go to www.dictionary.com.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer

I've seen these books in the stores for a while, but had actually steered clear of them because I thought they were just a Harry Potter knock off. The other day, I was in the kid section with Daniel while he was playing with the train table, and they caught my eye again. As they had the first 3 books in the series for $9.98, I decided to give them a try. Who am I to pass up a bargain?

Well, let me just say, it is not a Harry Potter knock off! Yes, it deals with sprites, dwarves, leprechauns, and other fantasy figures, but there the resemblance ends. The leprechauns are actually LEPrecons (Lower Elements Police Recon officers), the fairies use nuclear powered battery pack wings, and the lead character, while a young boy, is a brilliant criminal mastermind. The book is a light quick read, but is very engaging. I highly recommend it to either a fantasy fan, or a young adult/children's literature fan. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Stidmama said...

I can second your recommendation -- from the enjoyment our second child has derived from this series. He has read and re-read every one so far at least twice, and enjoys the idea of the protagonist being less than law-abiding.

Nancy said...

I loved these up to The Opal Deception -- then I got stuck. Apparently, if I can force myself to finish this one, the next (and last?) is more like the originals.